Boston Marathon Midnight Ride

posted in: Life Updates | 0

Each year, I’ve made it a point to ride the Boston Marathon route in the wee hours of the morning. I don’t really know why I do it, but for some reason I keep coming back year after year. The ride is pretty scenic with flat roads and some nasty hills to keep things interesting. I’ve never actually done the Midnight Ride before but I thought it was a good way to get Selma to (reluctantly) join me. And also, because we already made the rice cakes, we really didn’t have a good excuse not to ride.


Well actually there was one excuse for not going…the stupid New England weather. For some reason, mother nature decided not to cooperate that night and sent us some freezing cold weather for the ride. It was expected to drop into the low 30’s by midnight so we were definitely not excited about that. Nevertheless, we bundled up the best we could and set off for a night of pain and suffering.


I even brought a little thermos of hot coffee in hopes that it would stay warm until the half way point. It didn’t.


This is us taking a quick rest stop. Selma was still smiling at this point so I was relieved.

2014-04-20 21.16.462014-04-20 21.17.41

We made a stop right before the start of the marathon to rest up and get a quick bite to eat. The rice cakes were fantastic by the way.

2014-04-20 21.55.28

I also decided to get a order of Dunkin Donuts hash browns just because. They were warm and delicious as always.

2014-04-20 22.25.16

Because of the bombings last year, they actually didn’t let anyone near the start or finish of the marathon. So instead, everyone met up at the commuter rail station that was fairly close to the start and then rode back to somewhere around Copley square. Some people were definitely more enthusiastic about the ride than others.

2014-04-20 23.11.37 2014-04-20 22.55.29

It’s hard to tell from the picture below because we’re smiling but in reality we were both miserable on the inside.

2014-04-20 23.27.00There was a lot of waiting around so that was no fun at all. The temperature kept dropping by the hour so our group decided to head back early. This is when things started to become not fun. The ride back was freezing and Selma and I were struggling. We eventually made it home just before the hypothermia and frostbite kicked in and felt like total crap the next morning. It was definitely an eventful night but hopefully it will be much warmer next year.

And with that, thanks for reading!

As always, be sure to visit my fundraising raffle for the J&J TriathlonBike MS, and the ALDTDI Tri-State Trek for a chance to win a home cooked meal by yours truly or a $25 Amazon gift card!

Please like & share:

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.